The Cosmetic Procedures Blog
The Cosmetic Procedures Blog at MyCosmeticProcedures.com follows the latest developments in cosmetic procedures and plastic surgery, and offers news, information and patient insight into the most popular procedures of today and the cutting edge procedures of tomorrow.
05 January 2011
Posted in Articles
Men and women alike want to look their best on the beach, and getting ready for summer means buckling down, eating a healthy diet and following a regular exercise regimen. When it comes to getting ready for a swimsuit summer, trouble spots that are resistant to diet and exercise can be a frustrating obstacle to having that bikini-ready body.
Cosmetic procedures and plastic surgery offer several options for tightening and toning the body:
Liposuction is a great way to address small pockets of love handles and pockets of excess fat in the waist, abdomen, hips and thighs. The midriff area is one of the most trouble-prone areas and often means the difference between feeling comfortable in a bikini or wearing a one-piece swimsuit. With a recovery time of only a few weeks and final results that are visible within a few months, Liposuction can be performed early enough to get someone into a bikini by the first day of summer.
Zeltiq is a non-invasive alternative to Liposuction. CoolSculpting by ZELTIQ works by means of Cryolipolysis, or cold therapy. Intense cold is precislely controlled to target the fat cells without harming the skin or other tissues. Zeltiq can be used on the abdominal area, love handles (flanks), and back. The result is a reduction in fat bulges that is visible in most patients in about two to four months. Plenty of time to see painlessly see a difference before it's time to hit the beach.
Zerona is another body contouring procedure. Zerona uses a low-energy "cool" laser to emulsify fat cells. The laser doesn't affect the skin or other tissues and targets only the fat layer. The excess fat released by the emulsified cells are then passed through the body during its normal course of detoxification over a span of several weeks. Zerona is great for targeting localized fat deposits on the waist, hips and thighs ("love handles" and "saddle bags"), upper arms, bra-line fat, inner knees, back fat and buttocks.
Laser Hair Removal is a the most common procedure for would-be bikini bodies. Laser Hair Removal is a non-invasive, cost-effective and convenient way to remove unwanted body hair from the bikini line, back, chest and legs. Laser Hair Removal takes several treatments to be truly effective and you need to avoid sun exposure following treatment so undergoing Laser Hair Removal early can help provide the best results. With treatments scheduled 10-12 weeks apart on average, most patients may be able to get in 2-3 treatments before summer.
In our next blog, we'll talk about a few other procedures for achieving the bikini body you desire.If you are considering changing your appearance or shape in the New Year, you may be considering one or more of the procedures mentioned here. Once you've read more about the procedures you're interested in, you can start by locating a plastic surgeon "in my area" using our provider directory. You can also Request a Consultation with one or more doctors right here from our site without having to search your area at all.
03 January 2011
Posted in Articles
In December of 2010, The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) released their "Ten Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Predictions for 2011." Their predictions are based on interviews with leading plastic surgeons around the country, who are actively involved in cutting edge surgical and non surgical aesthetic/cosmetic technology.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; active members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures. International active members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
Here are the Ten Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Predictions for 2011:
- As the economy continues to improve, demand for facelifts and other facial rejuvenation surgery will increase. Non-surgical facial rejuvenation procedures will also see some growth, but people who have been putting off surgery for the past few years because of the economy will be ready for the gold standard in facial rejuvenation in 2011.
- The growth and popularity of cosmetic injectables (Botox, Dysport, Sculptra, Radiesse, Evolence, Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane etc.) will continue to increase as products continue to evolve and new players enter the market.
- As our population increasingly realizes the dangers and health consequences of obesity, the number of patients seeking plastic surgery procedures for body contouring after dramatic weight loss (abdominoplasty, lower body lift, upper arm lift, etc.) will rise in 2011.
- As the baby boomer generation continues to age, so do their breast implants. This year many baby boomer women who have aging implants and/or breast ptosis will replace their implants and have breast lifts.
- Consumers looking for a bargain on cosmetic procedures will unfortunately lead to an increase in horror stories about “discount injectables” bought offshore and cosmetic medicine and cosmetic surgical procedures performed by untrained or poorly trained practitioners.
- While liposuction (lipoplasty) will continue to be the gold-standard in fat reduction, there will be continued interest in experimental techniques for non-invasive fat removal (freezing, zapping, lasering, etc.) as a future alternative or adjunct to liposuction (lipoplasty) surgery.
- Aesthetic Medicine has seen a dramatic increase in the diversity of the patients treated over the past decade and this trend is expected to continue to grow stronger than ever, with applications that cater to all people. The appeal of both aesthetic surgery and cosmetic medicine will continue to spread across the spectrum of our population, as plastic surgeons further tailor treatments to meet the sometimes unique needs of that expanding population.
- As the popularity of non surgical and minimally invasive procedures continues to grow, surgeons and manufacturers will develop new techniques and products that advance the science, produce even better results and lessen recovery time.
- Celebrities like Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, and Jennifer Lopez have made a shapely rear-end a must have accessory. In the coming year patients will be seeking posterior body lifts, buttock lifts, surgical and nonsurgical buttock augmentations to shape and augment their buttocks.
- Following the trend in increased consumer sophistication patients will increasingly want to know if the latest procedure and device being touted on the internet and TV talk show really works and if it is safe. By incorporating evidence-based medicine into the core specialties of plastic surgery, the Aesthetic Society will make it easier for both doctors and patients to determine fact from fiction.
22 December 2010
Posted in Articles
A new year brings new resolutions and ultimately a new year to one's age. As more and more people reaching their 30s, 40s and 50s strive to maintain a more youthful appearance, many of them will make resolutions to make healthier choices like exercising more and a starting a balanced diet. For some, that resolution may include taking the step towards a rejuvenated look through plastic surgery and other, less invasive cosmetic procedures.
One of the most popular procedures, the Mommy Makeover would be the procedure of choice for recent (and not so recent) moms looking to turn back the clock and the effects of one or more pregnancies on their body.
For those who underwent bariatric surgery or experienced a dramatic weight-loss in the past year and have succeeded in achieving and maintaining their weight loss goals, body contouring after dramatic weight loss or post-bariatric plastic surgery may be a part of their New Year, New You plan.
And for those looking for a less-invasive solution to slimming their figure, Zeltiq or "CoolScultping" has become the most popular procedure. CoolSculpting selectively targets fat bulges in the abdominal area, love handles (flanks), and back using a precise and controlled method called Cryolipolysis™ which cools and eliminates fat cells without damaging the surrounding tissue. How "cool" is that!If you are considering changing your appearance or shape in the New Year, you may be considering one or more of the procedures mentioned here. Once you've read more about the procedures you're interested in, you can start by locating a plastic surgeon "in my area" using our provider directory. You can also Request a Consultation with one or more doctors right here from our site without having to search your area at all.
15 December 2010
Posted in Articles
Patients have many reasons for pursuing Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery procedures. Some patients want to improve their appearance and boost their confidence, some want to turn back the clock or undo the effects of pregnancy or weight loss - but some are opting to undergo surgery for other reasons. Recently the Washington Post did an article about plastic surgery patients and post-marital or post-relationship plastic surgery.
if you're considering plastic surgery, bear in mind that choosing to undergo plastic surgery is not something to be taken lightly. Be specific with your plastic surgeon about your goals and reasons for opting to undergo a cosmetic procedure. You should have realistic expectations regarding your procedure and should avoid considering plastic surgery if you're experiencing a stressful or life-changing event such as when going through divorce, dealing with the death of a spouse or loved one, or the loss of a job.
Ultimate payback after a breakup? Plastic surgery
Forget "Bridalplasty." The real money is in "surgical vengeance."
By ELLEN MCCARTHY
Published: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - WashingtonPost.com
The reality show in which women compete for pre-wedding cosmetic surgery may be getting all the attention, but doctors who ply their trade sculpting bodies and faces know that just as many - if not more - of the patients walking through their doors are motivated not by a new union but a marital breakup.
"There are a lot of women who come in either pre- or post-divorce who are looking to make themselves feel a little bit better," says Michael D. Cohen, medical director of the Cosmetic Surgery Center of Maryland. The whole story might not come out at the beginning, he says, but once he gets to know a patient, he often starts to hear details of a split.
Two weeks ago he did a tummy tuck and eyelid lift on a woman just out of an 37-year marriage, followed by breast augmentation for a woman in her 20's who found out her husband had cheated on her. "She suggested to the people preparing her for surgery that it was sort of payback," he said.
14 December 2010
Posted in Articles
Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery, also known as "obesity plastic surgery" or "body contouring after major weight loss" is a combination surgical procedure for addressing excess skin and fat that is left behind following a major weight loss. Sagging skin and excess leftover fat typically affects the face, neck, upper arms, breast, abdomen, buttocks, and thighs. In addition to affecting the body's contour and appearance, excess skin and fat can lead to discomfort or any number of medical complications. The procedures most often associated with obesity plastic surgery are: Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty), Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Breast Lift or Male Breast Reduction, Arm Lift, and Face Lift or Necklift. When combined, these procedures are sometimes collectively referred to as a “Total Body Lift."
Texas offers a wide selection of qualified plastic surgeons who are experienced with performing complex Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery procedures. In particular, plastic surgeons in Houston, TX and Dallas, TX are among some of the best providers skilled with body contouring following a major weight loss.If you have undergone dramatic weight loss and are close to your idea weight, and you have maintained a stable weight for some time, you may be a good candidate for post-bariatric plastic surgery. You can start by locating a plastic surgeon "in my area" using our provider directory. You can also with a Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgeon in TX, right here from our site without having to search your area at all.
Post Bariatric Plastic Surgery is usually performed in two or more individual operations at a time. The length of surgery, recovery time and other factors depend on the number of procedures performed. The final combination of desired or necessary procedures depends on the individual patients anatomy and goals. Due to the extent of surgery, significant scarring can be common. Most patients find these scars acceptable and consider it a fair trade-off for greater self-confidence and the ability to comfortably wear form-fitting clothes. The price of bariatric-related plastic surgery procedures can vary significantly, depending on several factors. This procedure can be expensive, so It's best to consult with a Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgeon who can assess your body and offer a detailed procedure plan and estimate.
08 December 2010
Posted in Articles
CoolSculpting by ZELTIQ, a widely popular, non-invasive treatment for reducing unwanted fat in diet-resistant problem areas. CoolSculpting uses the controlled application of cold to safely target the cells in the underlying fat layer without harming the skin or other tissues. This application of cold causes the fat cells to shrink and begins a natural process where the body eliminates those cells. Zeltiq is non-invasive, offering patients little to no down-time and the ability to return to work, exercise and other normal activities immediately after the procedure. Patients are either seated or lying down throughout the entire procedure, which takes one to three hours to perform. Zeltiq typically begins to show results within the first few weeks following treatment, but the body can continue to flush out fat cells for up to four months after the treatment.
The Best Candidates for Zeltiq:
- Ideal candidates for the Zeltiq Procedure are relatively fit, and within 10-15 pounds of their ideal body weight
- Having modest-sized fat bulges that are not easily reduced through diet and exercise
- Seeking natural-looking fat reduction in target areas without a surgical procedure
- Looking to benefit from an outpatient procedure with no downtime or impact on work or other activities
- Posesses realistic expectations and understand that Zeltiq s not intended for weight loss or obesity, and it is not a substitute for invasive procedures such as liposuction